科技改變生活 · 科技引領未來
英語豐富多彩的習語
表示身體部位的很多英語單詞都是寶,它們基本上都可以用來作比喻,從頭發 hair 開始,到 feet 都可以見到它們的蹤影,如 hang by a hair,heart and soul 和 get one&39;s feet wet 等等。
hang (on) by a hair 命懸一線;氣若游絲;危在旦夕
After the loss, their chances of getting into the championships are hanging on by a thread.
輸球后,他們進入總冠軍的機會岌岌可危。
Her life hung by a thread as medics rushed her to the hospital.
當醫護人員把她緊急送往醫院時,她的生命危在旦夕。
heart and soul 全心全意;完全地;最重要或核心的部分
I&39;m so sorry that you lost the restaurant, Jim. I know you put your heart and soul into it.
吉姆,很抱歉你損失了餐廳。我知道你全身心投入其中。
Now we are getting to the heart and soul of the matter. This feature is the heart and soul of my invention.
現在我們正進入問題的最重要的部分。這個特征是我發明的最核心的部分。
get one&39;s feet wet 初次涉足;開始做(新鮮的事情)
I&39;ve only had a few cello lessons-I&39;ve barely gotten my feet wet.
我只上過幾節大提琴課——我幾乎還沒開始。
At that time he was a young actor, just getting his feet wet.
那時他還是個年輕演員,才初出茅廬。
跟它們類似的還有 fight tooth and nail 或 fight tooth and claw,很明顯它不能用作它的字面意思“戰斗牙齒和指甲(爪子)”,它用來表示竭盡全力或激烈斗爭等,例如:
She fought the guards tooth and nail as they escorted her out of the building.
當衛兵護送她走出大樓時,她與他們拼命搏斗。
The senator vowed to fight the proposal tooth and nail.
參議員發誓要堅決反對這項提議。
I want this job so I’m going to fight tooth and nail for it.
我想要這份工作,所以我要竭盡全力爭取。
The independent regions are fighting tooth and nail to keep their special status.
各獨立地區正竭盡全力保持其特殊地位。
These elite troops have been selected by the royal palace to fight tooth and claw against any possible invaders.
這些精銳部隊被皇宮挑選出來與任何可能的入侵者進行殊死搏斗。
想必大家都想到了常見的 try one&39;s best,它表示盡某人最大的努力做某事,它的延申版 do/try one&39;s level best (to do sth) 也可以用來表示竭盡全力,例如:
I&39;ll try my best to help them solve problems.
我將盡最大的努力幫助他們解決問題。
I&39;ll do my level best to bear it all.
我將盡最大力量忍受一切。
I&39;ll do my level best to get you a ticket.
我將盡最大努力幫你弄到票子。
He has tried his level best to give up smoking.
他盡了最大的努力戒煙。
我們還可以使用 all out 來表示全力以赴或竭盡全力或努力奮斗,對應的形容詞是 all-out,例如:
We&39;re going all out to win.
我們竭盡全力爭取勝利。
We will be going all out to ensure it doesn&39;t happen again.
我們要全力保證此事不再發生。
You&39;re going to have to give us an all-out effort in the next game if you want to stay on the team.
如果你想留在隊里,你必須在下一場比賽中全力以赴。
詞或詞組辨析:
1. cello [?t?el??] 意為“大提琴”
2. elite [e??li?t] 意為“精英,精英的”等
關注外語行天下,后期會更精彩。
陳龍